Strength training consists of specific exercises that are intended to build or maintain muscle. this type of training should be done effectively to maximize your benefits and minimize your risk of injury. Here are some tips to help your workouts work for you.
- Begin by setting goals – whether you are working with a trainer or on your own, it is important to have a goal to work toward.
- Always remember to warm up before a workout and cool down afterwards. Warm up your muscles before stretching.
- Use good form – this includes holding your core properly and maintaining the correct form for every rep of the exercise you are doing.
- Never lock your knees or elbows.
- Start with lighter weights and a higher number of reps and gradually build up to heavier weights over time. If you feel pain, either decrease the weight or reassess your form.
- Don’t hold your breath while working a weight – exhale as you use the muscle, inhale as you release.
- Rest a muscle group for 48 hours before working it again.