Many people do not even think about redecorating the bedroom simply because they feel the cost will be too high. It is true that decorating in the bedroom could be expensive if you allow it to be. However, there are plenty of ways that you can stick to a tight budget and still enjoy redecorating for a bedroom to show your personality.
Often, the bedroom is neglected for the budgetary reasons mentioned above but also because it is easy to forgo this room and work on those rooms that your friends and family will see the most. However, since you spend a great deal of your own time in the bedroom, why not decorate it in a way that brings happiness to you? You should enjoy spending time in your bedroom, and it should provide peace and comfort in the evenings so that you can sleep well. Here are plenty of tips and tricks that you can take in order to redecorate your bedroom even on a small budget.
- 1. Choose a paint color that fits your taste but is also lasting. Think about something that you will enjoy now and years into the future.
- 2. If you want something unique, you can consider textured paint or you can even take the time to create a textured feel with ragging or sponging.
- 3. Wallpaper is always a nice option and it does not have to be expensive, especially if you consider wallpaper murals or cut outs that will turn one wall into an easy focal point. Look for these wallpaper murals that are removable. This way, if you get tired of the decoration in the future, you can easily replace it without damaging the walls.
- 4. If purchasing new curtains is out of the budget, visit the craft section of your local department store. You can find fabrics that will be much more affordable and can easily be turned into the perfect curtains for your newly decorated bedroom.
- 5. If you find an affordable fabric that you love, you may even consider using it to cover a chair if you have one in the room. Creating slipcovers for chairs or reupholstering them does not have to take a large amount of time, and can be completed by you at a low cost.
- 6. Use leftover fabric to make slipcovers for throw pillows, or if you are especially good with the sewing machine, you can create brand new pillows with the fabric.
- 7. New bedding can completely change the look of a bedroom. If there is one item in the room that you plan to spend a little more on, then let it be bedding in a new style and color that will suit your personality.
- 8. If you just do not have room in your budget for bedding, then consider purchasing numerous inexpensive decorative throw pillows. A bed piled with these pillows will be a nice look without the cost of bedding.
- 9. Do you need a nightstand or a side table? Visit your local home improvement store and purchase a circular piece of plywood. Use an old existing trashcan as the base and glue the plywood to the top to create a table. You can cover it with a premade table cloth or you can make your own if you are using fabric in the room.
- 10. Move things around. You may be surprised how much of a different look you can achieve simply by rearranging furniture. Consider doing something totally different like placing your bed in the corner and then angling out into the room.
- 11. Alter the lighting. Again, a free way to change the look of the room is to move the lighting about in different ways. Experiment with where you place your lamps until you get the lighting just right for the space.
- 12. A bench at the foot of the bed can be useful and decorative, but also fairly pricey. Visit yard sales and thrift stores to find an old coffee table or an old garden bench. Then you can repaint and add fabric or cushions to the top and have your very own, unique bench for the foot of your bed, and it will cost a fraction of the price.
- 13. Do you wish you had an elaborate headboard? You can create the illusion of one. Cut a piece of plywood the width of your bed. Use fabric and batting along with hot glue to cover the plywood and create a plush feel. Then, attach the plywood to the wall at the head of your bed.
- 14. Garage sales and thrift stores are a great way to find new and affordable wall art. Look for pieces that you will love for years to come, and pieces that are framed in a neutral manner so that they will remain timeless.
- 15. You can recycle your existing furniture by painting it. Choose a neutral color that will look refreshed and new in your room while remaining timeless so that you can enjoy it in the future. Purchase new, inexpensive pull knobs for dresser drawers and doors.
- 16. Instead of purchasing small décor items at a regular store, visit a craft store where you will find candles and small items for a much lower price. You can then group them on shelves, table tops and other locations to create interesting focal points.
- 17. Look around the other rooms of your home. You may discover decorative items that you can recycle in the bedroom for a whole new look. Do not be afraid to “go shopping” in your own home.
- 18. As with any other room in the house, before you even start redecorating your bedroom, consider what style, mood or theme you are trying to accomplish. If you keep this in mind throughout the redecoration process, you will avoid unnecessary expenses that could arise now or in the future.